The town of Inhambane is roughly 478 kilometres north of Maputo, the capital of Mozambique and is accessible by road or plane. Covered by large palm plantations and famous for the production of cashews, coconuts and sweet tangerines, the province of Inhambane is one of the main tourism centre hubs in Mozambique today but it has an intoxicating old world charm to it.
The town of Inhambane is one of the oldest towns in Mozambique dating back to the 10th century and the Arab traders. In 1498 Vasco do Gama landed with his ships just off the coast of Inhambane. When they reached land in inclement weather and approached a settlement, they were invited in the local Bitonga dialect to come out of the rain – ‘Bela khu Nyumbane’. The Portuguese thought they were being told the name of the region and so Inhambane got its present name.